||Welcome to the Web site of
the village of Flamstead, Hertfordshire, England.
This Web Site is intended to be a source of information to anybody
with an interest in the village.
If you have any comments on the web site or information that
you think should be included please do not hesitate to
and I will try and incorporate it.
Village Survey results are out
The results from the flamstead future Parish survey are now available.
Flamstead future...have your say
The reports have been prepared in good faith by the members of the Flamstead Future Working Group based on the responses received to the survey
ran during June 2016.
Scarecrow Festival 2016
The very popular and highly successful annual Scarecrow Festival will be held between
Friday 19th (Mid-day onwards) - Sunday 21st August 2016.
Started in 2002 as a means of raising money for the upkeep of the Village Church and the
Herts Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Centre the festival has gone from strength to strength. Every year so far there have been
over 90 scarecrows on display and many people now look forward to the annual event. The last few years over 5000 people have visited the
village each year.
The scarecrows will be on display and voting forms will be available from mid day on Friday. Voting closes on
Sunday at 5pm.
Link to map of scarecrows
2016 entry photographed so far
...and the winners are.. Top 10 scarecrows as voted for by visitors
In addition to the scarecrows there will be lots of other things to see and do. The village pubs and shop
as well as the Pavilion on the Recreational Ground will be open over the weekend selling a range of food and drinks.
The village hall will be open selling teas and cakes. In addition there will be range of craft stalls in the hall and the village shop will be
selling ice creams, cold drinks and sandwiches.
Follow us on facebook
Viewing/voting times are as follows:
- Friday 12.00 - 5.00
- Saturday 10.00 - 5.00
- Sunday 10.30 - 5.00
Events planned for the weekend include:
(to be confirmed)
All Week end:
- Village Hall & Surrounding Area
- Cream Teas
- Craft Stalls
- Cake Sale
- Train Rides
- Village Pubs
- Spotted Dog PH: TBA
- Three Black Birds PH: TBA
- Rose and Crown PH: BBQ and Real Ales, Treasure Hunt and 25 scarecrows in Trowley Bottom, well worth the short walk down the hill to Trowley Bottom, or catch the free bus
- Village Shop
- Ice creams
- Methodist Church
Entertainment / Activities
- Refreshments in the village hall - cream teas and home cakes - walk the scarecrow trail and then come and enjoy a cream tea
without a pang of guilt!
- Sale of Bric a Brac in the village hall
- Tour Bus will operate from village hall to take the elderly / disabled around the village, starting and finishing at the village hall,
runs on the hour every hour apart from 1pm - listen for the announcements
- Care Bus will operate from near to the car park to take less-abled visitors to and from the village
- Model train rides - St Leonard's Church yard
- 12:00 - 3:00: BBC 3 Counties Radio Transmits Live from the Village (tbc)
- Three Blackbirds Full Food Menu on as Usual, Selection of Ales
- Spotted Dog PH: Full Food Menu on as Usual, Selection of Ales
- Cake Stall in the village hall - Herts MS Therapy Centre
- 09:45 onwards: L&D Hospital Radio Transmits Live from the Village
- 11:30 - 12 noon: Children’s Story Reading by Clive Hayward
- 2:00 - 2:30: Wicket Brood dancing in the village hall carpark
- 2:30 - 2:45: Mummers
- 3:15 - 3.45: Punch & Judy Show
- 3:00: Talk by Eric Edwards on the History of Flamstead Church
- 3:15 - 3:45: Wicket Brood
- 3:45 - 4:15: Punch & Judy Show
- 1:00: Cricket Match Recreational Ground
Other Activities / Events in the Village over the Weekend include:
- 12:00 onwards Verulam Radio will be broadcasting live from Flamstead in the afternoon
- 12:00 - 12:30: Children’s Story Reading by Clive Hayward
- 2:00 - 2:30: English Miscellany dancing in the Village hall car park
- 2:30 - 3:15: Hemel Hempstead Band - adjacent to Village Hall
- 3:00: Talk by Eric Edwards on the History of Flamstead Church
- 3:15 - 3:45: English Miscellany dancing in the Village hall car park
- 3.50 - 4.10: Mummers performing in the Village hall car park
- 4:00 - 4:45: Hemel Hempstead Band - The Grand Finale!
Please, please, please park in the signposted Free Carpark, collect your voting form, walk the sign posted scarecrow trail
and view the scarecrows,
make your choice and deliver your voting form to the village hall.
- St. Leonard’s Church: Flamstead History Society
- Village Hall: Cream Teas, HMSTC Raffle Tickets, Cake Stalls, Tombola etc
- Church Yard: Craft Stalls, Train Rides
- Methodist Church: Refreshments, Tea and Cakes (Saturday and Sunday)
- Spotted Dog PH:
Friday – All food set and beer tent set up during the day
Friday Eve – BBQ and band in the Pub, beer festival up and running
Sat – Food served from 11.00 until the evening, beer festival
Sat Eve – 3 Fold Band playing at the pub, BBQ food on the go, beer festival
Sun – 3 fold playing outside 3 sets during the day, beer festival, food available all day
Food: Oriental Pulled Pork, pulled bbq beef blade, dry tandoori chicken, sausages wrapped in bacon, pots of cous cous salad, Chips. Free water with every food order.
NB. We are not doing any restaurant food over the course of the weekend
- Three Black Birds PH:
All 3 days: BBQ, bouncy castle, popcorn machine and candy floss machine.
The Friday and Sunday will be accompanied by music for all ages through a sound system.
Saturday will include a live 5 piece band, face painting, hook a duck, tin can alley and a Pimms, Prosecco and Gin tent, all along with the food provided all weekend.
- Rose and Crown:
Normal opening hours and bar service. There will also be an outside bar and a BBQ.
- Village Shop:
Festival Tee shirts, Ice creams, Sandwiches, Cold drinks, Bottled water, Sweets, Crisps and everything you would expect from a local village shop. Help support our community by using the village shop
- Apple Trees, Church R
Sat: 11am onwards: The Apple Tree Nursery, 21 Church Rd, is hosting an Open Day with Scarecrows, bouncy castle, free arts and crafts, stalls and refreshments. Breast feeding and baby changing facilities available.
Sat: 1pm and 3pm: Apple Trees and Pre-School Disney Parade and Elsa’s singing show
Sun: 11:30 and 2pm: Apple Trees and Pre-School Disney Parade and Elsa’s singing show
Satnav Post code: AL3 8DE. Latitude 51° 49" 11.21' Longitude -0° 26" 45.28'
There will be disabled parking (space permitting) where they you can also take advantage of the Markyate/Flamstead
bus which will be making tours of the scarecrow trail.
The village is not too large and it will take about 1.1/2 hrs to walk round the village, enjoy the scenery and see
all the scarecrows.
Please use the car parks provided if you are able-bodied. Flamstead is not too large and will not support
a cars driving or parking carelessly
around the village - there is no parking in the village. We also have to ensure that emergency vehicles can get in and out of the village.
We DO NOT provide maps of where the scarecrows are, with people registering their scarecrows as late a Saturday morning
it is not practical to do so. However, if you have a smart phone an up to date map of the scarecrows will be available to view on your smart phone .
If you prefer a paper map why not print it out before you come.
Pictures of the scarecrows will be posted in the marquee should you 'forget' which one you intend to
vote for. As with previous years it is also planned to post pictures of all the scarecrows plus the winners
on this web site.
Please support the event, don't just come and look, buy a voting form. All the money raised goes
towards worthy causes; the Village Church and the Herts Multiple Sclerosis Therapy Centre. Lots of villagers
give up their free time
not just to make scarecrows but in organising the event; organising carparks, printing forms, distributing
forms, cooking cakes, manning the various stalls
and events, etc., etc., all the for good of the event and the causes it supports.
complete 2015 entry
complete 2014 entry
complete 2013 entry
complete 2012 entry
complete 2011 entry
complete 2010 entry
complete 2009 entry
complete 2008 entry
complete 2007 entry
2006 also rans
2005 also rans
2004 winners and entries
2003 winners and entries
2002 winners and entries
(*) Suggested Donation